Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Banana "Ice Cream" Fakeout


banana ice cream fake out, soft serve ice cream

So, the only problem I have with this recipe is that I didn’t come up with it myself!  I saw Rachael Ray make this quick and simple “ice cream” using only bananas and milk, and I had to try it.  The consistency is that of soft serve ice cream.   It’s ingenious AND healthy to boot!

In my haste to share this recipe, I didn’t invest too much time playing around with it.  When I’ve found the opportunity to experiment and come up with additional variations, I will share them with you. 

Until then, here’s how to make it.


To get the ice cream into scooping and stacking 
consistency, I froze it  for about 1 hour.


Banana “Ice Cream” Fakeout
Slightly adapted version of Rachael Ray's

3 bananas, frozen and cut into small chunks
1/4 to1/2 cup milk (I used 1% milk)
1 tbsp. agave nectar (optional, for added sweetness)
1 tsp. vanilla extract  

Start by pulsing banana in a food processor to break up the chunks. 

Puree bananas, adding milk, a little bit at a time, until mixture begins to smooth out.   Add vanilla and agave nectar.  Continue pureeing, adding more milk if needed, until mixture becomes thick, smooth, and creamy. 

Rachael says it should take about 2 minutes to whip.  It took me about 5 minutes.  I had to use a spoon to break up and redistribute the semi frozen mixture a couple of times when it seized up in the food processor.

The original recipe says to serve immediately, but if the consistency is too soft, I recommend freezing the ice cream for at least one hour to firm it up. 

Makes about 3 ½ cups.



Print Friendly and PDF
Follow FoodforFinicky on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment