Monday, April 30, 2012

Mashed Potato Sticks


Tastes like French fries, Mashed Potato Sticks are baked until crispy and golden brown.

I don’t know about anybody else, but my leftover mashed potato usually ends up in the trash after it sits in the fridge for a few days.  Immediately throwing it out would save time and effort, but guilt often gets the best of me.  Storing the potato first (prior to it meeting its destiny in the bottom of my trash bin) makes me feel as if I put in genuine effort to avoid wastefulness.

Well, waste no more! I finally discovered a simple, perfect solution to leftover mashed potato—turn it into potato sticks.  They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, very much like French fries.  Best served hot straight from the oven.

And, do kids like them? Well…they taste a lot like French fries…need I say more?






Mashed Potato Sticks
I recommend using creamy mashed potato, not smashed potato for this recipe

for every 1 cup of prepared mashed potato add the following
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. golden flaxseed  


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Blend all ingredients thoroughly.  Spoon into a plastic bag and twist opening closed.  Cut a 1/2" to 3/4" slit in one corner of bag.  Pipe strips of potato (about 6 – 8 inches long) onto a greased cookie sheet.  Cover potato strips with a light coat of cooking spray.  Bake for 15 minutes or until bottom of potato is golden brown.  Turn potato sticks over and bake an additional 5-7 minutes.  Serve hot.

Note:  Wider strips of potato require longer cooking time.
Refrigerated potato strips are best served reheated in the oven for a couple minutes.




Print Friendly and PDF
Follow FoodforFinicky on Twitter

1 comment: